My presents

My presents

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Book Review: Tide and Tempest

I have been given the great opportunity to get free books and review them for Bethany House Publishing. I just finished reading "Tide  and Tempest" by Elizabeth Ludwig, the third in the "Edge of Freedom" series. If I had known that it was #3, I likely would not have signed up to get this book, as I had never read books 1 and 2. I was hoping that it would be a "stand-alone" read.....and I am glad to report that for the most part, it really was a "stand-alone." There were a few references to things that happened in books 1 and 2 but it did not affect much of the story's flow.



This book takes place in turn-of-the-century America, where main character Tillie has set herself up in a boarding house after travelling from Ireland to gain freedom. Sadly, she had lost her fiance on the boat trip over. When the boat's captain, Keondric Morgan, a fellow Irish-man, learns that her fiance's death was likely murder instead of a bad twist of fate, he feels that it is his duty to tell Tillie when he docks in New York Harbor.

Thus begins a tale of intrigue, suspense, plots, revenge and murder. There is also intertwined a sweet love-story. I would give this book a 3.5 out of 4 stars. I loved the story-telling, how the author was able to bring you back into a time where gangs ran the streets of NY and how political parties were more than something just talked about.....but were acted upon as well, in some very "interesting" ways. There were enough twists and turns in the novel to keep the reader engaged and because it was in a period of history that I greatly enjoyed, I did have a great time reading this one....even though it was number 3!

I think that I will get books 1 and 2 from the library and read them now.....because it was enough to keep me engaged as a reader. I definitely recommend this book! You can buy book 3 HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment