My presents

My presents

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Boredom Buster

Summer is upon us and if your kids aren't out of school yet, soon they will be! The VERY first day my Ellie (7) was out of school, I heard the dreaded words "I am bored." The summer LOOMED before me, knowing I would have to deal with this each and every day.

So, Ellie and I put our brains together and we came up with "Ellie's Boredom Buster." We are both very excited about this idea and it is already working for us!

To make this project you need:

Creative ideas
paper
jar

1. Think of as MANY creative ideas to do as you possible can and write them down. We printed them out on the computer, so it would be neater. Go beyond the toys that your kids have. Some of our more creative ideas included:

Write and illustrate a story
Make and decorate cards
Plan a meal to make for the family
Create and practice a play, then perform it....include props
Practice roller skating on the patio
Run through the sprinkler
Go through your room and fill up 1 garbage bag full of things to donate :)
Make a surprise for Tyler
Paint a picture
Write a song (words, then pick out the tune on the piano)
Bake cookies for someone

When we were done we had nearly 100 ideas! The only ideas that were NOT allowed were anything on the computer, Wii, or TV!


2. Have your child cut out all the fun ideas.....this is a boredom buster in and of itself. It took a long time for Ellie to do this and she was excited the whole time!


3. Decorate a jar, bag or in our case, a vase. Done!


Let's fight boredom together this summer!

6 comments:

  1. GREAT idea . . . my mom had one of these when I was a kid in the summer time too!! :-) Where the inspiration for my job jar came from. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this :-) I haven't heard the words yet, so this will beat her to the punch. Now that school is out she is just "playing school" now with Avery so that kept both the girls entertained today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Ethan and I may have to make one for ourselves! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved to do this when I was little. It's something I'll have to do with Benjamin when he's a bit older. -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!! Hi Bekkielynn, Im Stacey Aspenberg your cousin's wife Becky Thompson sent me! I LOVE this idea and can't wait to do it with my kiddies!! Your blog is so neat! So fun stopping by!!
    Blessings,
    Stacey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stacey it is wonderful to meet you! Hope to get to know you better through my blog :) Have fun with this boredom buster. It saves me LITERALLY almost every day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete