My presents

My presents

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Repurposing 101

I LOOOOVE quick weekend projects that cost $0 :) Because of pinterest (my new addictive computer tool that I can literally spend hours on), I have found amazing projects that are quick, easy and that my daughter can even do with me!

This Saturday has been the "repurposing" day and I LOVE it!

Do you have a couple shirts in your closet that you do not wear because they do nothing for you? I have a few shirts that I call my "fat shirts," because when I wear them I feel fat. Those should be gotten rid of, because who needs shirts that do not make them feel beautiful?

So, get those shirts out of your closet and you can do several things with them!

First of all, I made a sewn-on cowl-neck shirt out of a regular T-shirt that I had gotten for $2 at Kohls. I used material that I already had on hand, but consequently, I did not use as much as the original pattern showed. It would have hung longer if I had done that and I think I will actually buy material to do that next time. But, I do really like it! I am not going to do a tutorial on how to make this, but trust me, it took me LITERALLY 10 minutes to complete! The tutorial can be found HERE.


Here's the "before" :


The second project was so much fun! This one took about an hour from beginning to end. Ellie and I decided to make this one together! She and I both took shirts from our closets that we do not wear anymore, and got to cutting! We put on "Ever After" on Netflix and got to work. Such fun to do it with my daughter! (Ignore the wet hair :)


For this project you will need:

An old Tshirt
Scissors

1. Find an old Tshirt or 2 with coordinating colors. I used one of my husband's old white ones as the extra color.


2. Beginning at the bottom, cut strips about 1 in in length so that you have a large tube. Do not use your first tube because it will be the bottom seam. When you cut that one off, discard. Continue cutting 1 in tubes all the way up to the arm holes.


3. When you get each tube, stretch it out so the cotton curls in on itself....if your shirt has a pattern on it like my daughter's it will not look as "neat" but it still is fine. When it has curled, wrap it a few times around your hand until you have 12-15 curls.


4. Using a small strip from the shirt, begin tyeing the loops together until it is the length that you desire. You can either leave it a long strip like a traditional scarf, or tie the last 2 loops together to make a large tube. That is how I chose to do it because I like the long necklace-type look.


That's all there is to it. Such a nice scarf when you are done and you are now without a couple of "fat shirts" in your closet :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks great. I've been wanting to make one similar to the second scarf, except it doesn't use the small circles...it's just large loops that all tie together. Great job Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU look great :) so pretty :) I however would never wear that ....that's very much a becky style, lol

    ReplyDelete