My presents

My presents

Friday, February 4, 2011

YUMMY Recipe Review!

On our last trip to the library, I picked up THIS cookbook!


I am not going to yet rate the cookbook because I have only made one recipe from it. BUT, I must say not only was it easy and fabulous, it was only 247 calories per serving.....and plus the kids loved it. Now, I am not totally sure how my husband would have liked this one, but he wasn't here, so it was a good night to try it!

*my tips in italics

Caribbean Shrimp

1 lb. shrimp, deveined
1 tsp. cornstarch or flour
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced and seeded
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 20 oz. can pineapple pieces, drained
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 Tbs. Smart Balance, melted


1. Preheat oven to 425.

2. Defrost shrimp (if you are using frozen. Another tip is to buy the shrimp with the tails. They are usually cheaper and it is not a big deal to cut them off. All I did was tell Ellie about them and she just did not eat the tails and I removed them for Tyler!). Shrimp is best defrosted in warm water, as opposed to the microwave. Takes about 10 minutes.


3. Mix lime juice and cornstarch or flour in a small dish and set aside.

4. Chop all veggies. TIP: Use gloves to cut up the jalapeño. I did not and had a few cuts on my hands. They burned for the rest of the evening! Make sure to remove all the seeds. Seeds add the most heat to the recipe.


5. Mix all the rest of the ingredients together, except the brown sugar. Pour lime juice mix over entire bowl, mixing well.

6. Lay out a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Pour shrimp mixture onto foil and spread brown sugar and melted butterover entire mixture. Layer another piece of foil on top, folding the edges to make a large packet.


7. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Steam will be very hot.


*In spite of the cayenne pepper and jalepeno pepper, this is actually NOT that spicy! I was surprised. My kids and I totally loved this!

According to the recipe, this makes 4 servings......the servings are VERY VERY large! For 1/4 of this recipe, it is only 247 calories! I am looking forward to cooking more from this book! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I do not care for shrimp that well, but I must say that I am a fan of Hungry Girl. She is on the cooking channel now in a brand new program on Saturdays at 3:00pm Central time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have her cookbook on my list of want to try and possibly buy. Friend Lina has been using her a lot lately. Like that the PP said she is on TV so I can check her out :D

    ReplyDelete