My presents

My presents

Friday, December 30, 2011

Family Fridays

I am attempting something new with my blog. I had gotten very busy and likely will again, but wanted to start a more consistent blogging effort with the upcoming new year......NOT a resolution because I am against those, but just a new beginning. That's how I originally started this blog. After years and years of infertility, heartache, adoption, early births, brain surgeries, trauma in our family, a huge family move.....I wanted something to share my joy of life. That desire birthed this blog and I love it :) When I get on here, I am happy. I share what makes me happy. You read this blog and you read my heart!

Fridays will become "Family Fridays" to update you all on our lives.

Today I am going to introduce you to someone very special to me:


My mom. She has been my mom for 32 years on Monday. I consider myself very blessed to have this godly woman in my life. Our personalities are quite different......but our hearts tick the same way! She is a quiet woman in the background who gets great joy in serving alongside her husband and for her family. She was not the one in the spotlight, but she served with a joyful heart. Unlike me, she wanted to stay home instead of going out every day. She doesn't like to shop or be away from her home for long periods of time. So, how do we even get along, you ask???

She was always an inspiration to women in our various churches on what godly women should be. I could talk to her and sit with her. Some of my favorite moments with my mom were actually not spent talking, but spent in silence. We would open our favorite books and sit together and read.....for a really long time! Another special moment was when the tea pot was on the stove, popcorn was popped and we played scrabble. Now, every time we see each other we make sure that at least ONE game of scrabble is played!

I have lived quite far from my parents since college. One of my biggest fears was that my children would grow up not knowing my parents and they would not be close. That fear was pretty unfounded. They are very close to both my mom and my dad. I attribute that to them making a true effort with all the kids. Though we only see each other in person a few times a year, sometimes it is as if we live next door....only a phone call, or skype call away!


For my early birthday present, I got a Kindle Fire. I LOVE it (more on that another day!). But, I have gotten into playing "Words with Friends" which is basically scrabble that you can play with your friends. Sometimes you have to wait an entire day for them to make the next move, but if you have several games going with several different people, you always have a few moves to make yourself.

I have to giggle every time I play Kindle scrabble with my mom in real time. It's not a coincidence that I go turn the tea pot on and sip tea while we play with each other, over the many miles. I know that she is in her chair, drinking her tea as well. It's ALMOST like we are playing at the same table. My husband laughs at me when I say things such as "take, that Momb!"

I hate to admit this, but it is kind of rare that I beat her. *Stink!*

In spite of what some people say of bad that can come of modern technology, I am thankful for the moments of sipping tea, munching on popcorn and making the next move on Words with Friends with one of my BEST friends who lives thousands of miles away.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear daughter, you have brought tears to my eyes! So many GOOD memories! I love you, child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your mother "blubbering" and me nearly in tears again I could not let this moment go by without saying thank you from your "ole" father. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tribute to your mama! I hope that Anna and I are that close one day. :o)

    ReplyDelete