My presents

My presents

Friday, December 30, 2011

Peppermint Biscotti

Well, Christmas is over, but these wonderful things can be enjoyed all the year long. They just look especially festive during the Christmas holidays.

I am not much of a baker. I don't actually enjoy it much. I LOVE to cook, but my baking recipes just never turn out that wonderful. So, when I do come across a good one, I make sure I keep it.

About 5 years ago, a girl brought these to MOPS and shared the recipe with me. Since then I make them every Christmas and they get shared with teachers, bus drivers, Sunday School teachers and a few friends.....depending on how many batches I have time to make! I love them with my coffee. Such a wonderful treat!


Ingredients:

3/4 c. butter softened
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. peppermint extract
3 1/4 c. al purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. crushed pep. candy (last time I used red and green and it worked GREAT!)

1. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time until well mixed. Beat in the extract.


2. Using a food processor, crush peppermint candies. I actually used candy canes since they were so cheap. I also added a few green since it was Christmas time and it made it very festive! (beware, the sound is very loud and will scare your dog :)


3. Combine all other ingredients and then add to creamed mixture. (Dough will be quite stiff).


4. Divide dough in half. On cookie sheet, roll each portion into a 12x2.5 in. rectangle. I kind of just shape them both with my hands until they look something like this:


5. Bake at 350 25-30 min. Remove to wire racks. (Be careful doing this so they do not fall apart!) Cool 15 min. Cut diagonally with sharp knife.


6. Put back on cookie sheet, cut side down and bake again for about 10-15 min. until hard.


7. When they are cooled, melt some choc. and dip 1 end then roll in candy!


I bagged them up in cute Christmas bags for gifts, but since Christmas is over, you could just use regular bags......or keep them for yourself for the morning coffee. WONDERFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment