My presents

My presents

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bare Cupboard Challenge

Every once in a while when money starts getting pretty tight, instead of doing my regular couponing that I do every week, I do a bare cupboard challenge.....not only does it save a lot of food money, but it helps my creative juices begin to flow!

Begin with a glance at the cupboards, pantry, fridge and freezer. Figure out how many proteins you have.....this week I have 1 bag of frozen chicken and 1.5 pounds of ground turkey that can be split into 2 different meals. Doesn't seem like much, does it? But, when I add the cans of soup in the cupboard, remember the yeast hanging out in my freezer than can be made into sourdough pancakes for our favorite "brinner" (boy, I have had several requests to blog this recipe and I keep forgetting....this week for sure!), I am fairly certain we can make it work!

Doing a bare cupboard challenge does not mean that I do not spend any money.....we all run out of essentials like milk, bread and cheese, along with foods I can pack in Ellie's lunch for school. But, this week at the store, I hope to spend only 25% of what my normal weekly budget is. It just gives us a cushion in our budget.

Anyone up for joining me? You may not be eating gourmet meals all week, but the challenge is to see how creative you can be with what you have on hand and how much money you can save!

This week I plan to blog about my bare cupboard challenge both as an inspiration to creative eating, as well as a motivation to me to keep on going in my effort to save money! I am looking forward to the challenge! So, who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. i would be up for joining you if I could actually last a week with just what we have....since moving here, I have been shopping just once a week and planning meals and have like NOTHING when it comes to sunday. looking in my freezer, I have one package of ground turkey. that's IT....so I have to go shopping more or esle we will starve. But i like the incentive. I have come to the conclusion that besides the stock piling freezer items in my freezer downstairs that we have yet to plug in and get started, we can NOT stock pile. we have no room. I'd be interested to know how other's that coupon a lot stock pile when they have literally NO room. But lets see how inventive I can get this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my house we call that a grocery fast . . . and then we have CORN for dinner (Clean out refrigerator nights) :-) No can do this week though, I've got company coming. :-) Excited to see what you come up with though.

    ReplyDelete