My presents

My presents

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Easy Baby Onesie applique

I am addicted to etsy.com......but the thing is, I can hardly ever stand to buy anything because I realize that I can do most of the things on there myself. I used to have an etsy site as well, but then I gave birth to a preemie and my life changed. So for right now, I am not doing my little business again. But, when I have time, I have been doing projects for my own family!

I have increasingly seen some adorable applique items for little boys, so I decided to try my hand today with some of my fabric scraps. They turned out CUTE, so I decided to do another tutorial for anyone who would like to give it a try as well!!!!

Here's the finished product, so you know what I am talking about!


What you need for this project:

fabric scraps
plain onesies or T-shirts
sewing machine
coordinating thread
pins
cardboard (I used an old cereal box)
sewing scissors
iron

1. Cut out a shape from cardboard to fit on the onesie. This will be your guide. Then trace the outline on the back of your fabric. Cut out the shape, allowing about 1/2 inch extra around the entire shape.


2. If your shape has any angles, make a small snip to the middle of the angle.


3. Place the cardboard figure on the material and fold the edges towards you, ironing down. This will create a finished edge. When it has been totally ironed down, carefully remove the cardboard and turn the figure over. Iron down so the edges are more firm.


4. Pin shape to the onesie, making sure you are pinning it to the front side only!


5. I used a clothes pin to keep the back-side together and out of the way of the sewing machine. Take great care to sew only the front of the shirt!


Choose a stitch pattern that is zig-zagged annd fairly close together. When sewing the shape onto the shirt, catch one side of the zig-zag to the fabric, and the other side to the shape. **Go very slowly so the fabric does not bunch, removing pins as you get to them.


**Keep in mind that curves are more difficult that straight lines. When you come to an edge where you need to stop and change directions, make sure the needle is down in the fabric before you raise the foot and change the direction of the fabric.

Have fun! I can't wait to applique more items!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. When I used to make these I would put sticky backed fusible web on the underside of the fabric. Then you iron it on to the shirt and then sew it. It keeps the applique from bunching or moving around while you are sewing it :)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it the way Erin mentioned with the iron on backing- but I think I need to use a closer zig zag stitch like you mentioned next time. I already took a shirt out this morning, to make a matching material tie shirt for Caid, so I will have to give it a try! I wish we could all get together and have a sewing party in person!!!

    ReplyDelete