My presents

My presents

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Basic Pants/Shorts Hemming

Can you tell I have been in a sewing mood??? :)

My daughter is VERY leggy. Her entire height, as mine, is in her legs. This means that she outgrows pants very very quickly and typically it is hard to find pants that fit. She is a size 6, but in length she is at least a 7 or 8!

There will be no more girls in our family, so I can take those short pants and either give them away, or transform them into either capris or shorts! Since we are already experiencing summer weather here in the southwest, shorts, capris and dresses are worn to school nearly every day now, so the more pairs the better!

I have been talking to many friends about sewing lately and have realized that there is a HUGE fear of the sewing machine! Most people have one, but are afraid of it and afraid of doing projects. I understand this! My first sewing machine was given to me by a coworker. It was a 1979 Sears and Roebuck ancient machine, but it worked. For my first machine it was GREAT!

To get over your fear (or more like intimidation), you just have to DO it! You have to practice as with anything else.....and fail a lot......but then you will start succeeding! I hope that through my little easy projects you will be able to start practicing and continue getting better and better. I am by no means an expert sewing queen, but I am learning more and more and it is something that I totally love.....something that is, indeed, a lost art!

For this project you will need:

A pair of pants to turn into shorts
sewing scissors
pins
sewing machine
coordinating thread

1. Select you pair of pants and cut one leg across, longer than the ending length, as you will be folding it up. To cut the other leg evenly, lay the leg you just cut on top of the other leg and simply cut it even!


2. Fold the bottom hem up twice, then pin all the way around.


3. Using coordinating thread, use a straight stitch and sew the very top of the hem down. Make sure you sew only through one layer at a time!


4. Remove pins. Done!


10 minutes tops.....and look at the money you saved!


2 comments:

  1. Haha. I didn't even see your post when I posted mine! We DO think a lot alike. I've been wanting to try my hand at applique. I also have on my list to try freezer paper stenciling. Have you seen the tutorials on that? I see some cute baby onsies and little girl shirts in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE all your sewing project tutorials you've been sharing!! i agree- the sewing machine can be very intimidating, but once you try it out and get the hang of it, there are so many things we can do with it!!!

    ReplyDelete