My presents

My presents

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Recipe Review: Banana Bread (with cauliflower)


Two Christmases ago, I was given the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. The premise is that you can incorporate fresh veggie puree into foods without your family even knowing about it, thus adding healthier food options. The thing I love is that she does not suggest you not add any veggies/fruits to your regular meals etc., because kids need to learn to eat healthy food. But, this just puts something else in front of them. Not only do I have picky kids (particularly my 6 year old), but I also have a picky husband!!!!!!! I haven't cooked all of the recipes in this book, so each week I have been adding 1 or 2 more to just try them out.

Usually 1 day a week I'll make a puree and freeze them in 1/2 c. portions in the freezer. They lay flat, do not take up too much room, and are easily thawed in a few inches of warm water when needed. (I'll do a quick lesson in pureeing later).

This week one of the new recipes was:

Banana Bread (with cauliflower)

*Note: I changed it up a bit like I always am tweaking recipes. I added 1/4 c. of flaxseed meal and made the entire thing with whole-wheat flour. I will post her recipe with mine additions in itallics


3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all purpose flour
(or: 1/4 c. flaxseed meal, 1 c. whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c. veg. oil
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 c. banana puree (I did not have enough and used only 3/4 c....and it was perfect!)
1/2 c. cauliflower puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract


*Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9x5 in. loaf pan with cooking spray.

*In a bowl, mix flours with baking soda, powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

*In large mixing bowl, mix sugar and oil until well combined. Mix in egg whites, banana and cauliflower purees and vanilla. Add flour mixture just until combined.


*Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 55-60 min. (I baked mine until it was fragrant, usually indicating it is done, and it was only about 40 min......then again, I am high elevation so I am not sure how that changes things!) Let cool on a rack for 5 min, then turn bread out of pan and cool before serving.....(or cool 5 minutes and then cut into it because you can't wait because it smells so good!)


As close as I can figure, for 12 servings, it has approximately 128 calories per slice, done my way with my additions.

REVIEW: I give this recipe 4/4 stars. It was seriously fantastic! Once the cauliflower is added you can NOT taste it or smell it (caul. is quite a pungent smell!). It was so delicious and everyone in my entire family who can eat (that means excluding my 6 month old ;), LOVED it.....all my picky eaters gobbled it down for breakfast this morning.

Try it out. You will be completely surprised!!!!!! Have any cauliflower lately??

4 comments:

  1. I think I'll try it. Does it give carb figures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I actually figured out the calories by imputting it into loseit.com......I am not sure how to find the carbs though. I think you'll totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did good for high altitude with how you did the recipe. Typically it's reduce liquids, add to starches, longer bake time. It's taken me quite a while to get used to HA baking, I have a lot of stuff come out dense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm impressed. I never would have thought to put cauliflower into banana bread. I'll have to remember this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete