My presents

My presents

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bust that Boredom Away!

It has become an annual tradition now: to make a boredom buster jar. The day you make it, is a boredom buster in and of itself....and then you have something to send the kids to when they ARE actually lacking in creativity to figure out what they want to do!

*Just a note that in almost all of these "Pinterest-ing Summer" blog posts, my youngest, Trenton is not pictured. The reason for that is that he is sleeping when we do a lot of our fun activities. It is the way it is.....by next summer he will be able to participate in more :)

We began with a brainstorming session laying on the trusty hammock. We were armed with paper, camera, pepsi and cute people. We began to brainstorm everything we could think of to do if we get bored. I wanted to come up with 100 ideas.....and we landed on about 85, so I was pretty happy with that! These ideas will then be cut out, folded and put in our boredom buster jar!


After our brainstorming session we then went to the second phase of our boredom buster jar-making....decorating the actual jar! We decided this year to mod-podge a small bucket that I had lying around....using my HUGE stash of scrap book paper. We tore bits of paper, then each person got a chance to stick it on the bucket. *Mod Podge is great for so many reasons: 1. you can't really mess it up 2. It is messy but easily cleaned up 3. kids love it 4. there are not ENDS to what you can do with this product! Just use it like glue, then when you have your paper stuck down, you actually paint with the mod podge right on top of it!


Allow to dry. While you are doing that, you can cut out all of your amazing ideas and fold them all. In the time it takes to do that your mod podge project should be done. Here is what we came up with. Here is to the BANISHMENT of those 3 little words we all dread hearing:
"MOM, I'M BORED!"


P.S. My kids are so excited now that they actually ARE saying those words....because they want to pick from the jar :) My son is currently brushing the dog's hair, while my daughter is playing a wii game :)



1 comment:

  1. I saw your post awhile ago that you were going to spend time coming up with ideas for the summer. I loved it and did just that. I ended up listing every week day between now and when school starts. I wrote down school work (a work book page, read one book, do IXL, write a letter to someone), house work (one thing each day to do to help with the house work) and a fun thing. I enjoyed going through pinterest finding ideas the kids would like to do. Thanks for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete