My presents

My presents

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Hair Mask

Well as post #2 in my Pinterest-ing Summer blog series, I decided to do some things to prepare for summer! I began with a hair tonic last night in preparation for the long, dry summer days that we will inevitably have!

I have never done a hair mask before but this one looked easy and promised smooth, very shiny and manageable hair. Bonus was that it consisted of only 2 ingredients, both of which I always have at my disposal.

Directions:

Mix together 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil. Microwave for 15 seconds then apply to hair. Wrap in a towel or shower cap and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse then Shampoo as usual.

So, I began. After mixing the 2 yummy smelling ingredients and heating it in the microwave, I realized I had no idea how to get it into my long locks. I put a towel over my shoulders and just began to glop it on. I have had long hair for most of my life....and I know what getting sticky substances into it does. It creates knots that hurt like CRAZY trying to get out. So, once I got over the mental block of actually WILLINGLY rubbing honey into my hair, I dove right in.

Maybe it was just me but I had honey all over my bathroom. This is a smile of triumph as I finally got it into some semblance or order on my head and cleaned up. I was sweating by the end.


Ok, 30 minutes to go. I have three young children so getting them occupied for me to take a shower is always such a process. But, I bought myself some time while the kids swung on the new Mother's Day gift (my new hammock....wooo!). I could not WAIT to rip that towel off my head and get that sticky mess out of my hair! But finally I was done, dried and styled.....and to be honest, my hair looked and felt the way it did before:


I was reading about oils actually sealing moisture in, so I think that what this was missing was being wet first. Before I throw away this recipe for good, I think I will try it with wet hair. I don't, particularly, think that hair masks are for the busy mommy-on-the-go, but I will reserve my judgement for the slightest bit :)

#2 preparation for summer.....manicure time. Most people get pedicures to prepare for sandal wearing but honestly they are not my favorite things. But, I have not had nice nails in TEN years (aka. for my WEDDING!)


So, with my (normal) hair and my pretty nails I headed off to my favorite bookstore/coffee place and get down to the business of planning out the summer. After filling in all of the outings planned by my MOPS group, vacation plans, library reading programs, story hours, spray parks, zoo and botanical gardens, I then began to fill in our at-home activities. I decided that I am also going to plan a quiet activity for my almost-8 year old daughter for nap time. Since she does not nap anymore it will be fun to do some fun things with her as well.

Things I am most looking forward to:
last day of school party
making our own bouncy balls
sidewalk paint
making bathing suits for American Girl dolls
spray park
the pool
free bowling for kids
embroidery
learning to make crepes
decorating 3 birthday cakes
ice-chipping toys
summer journaling

Whet your appetite yet? It has mine. I can hardly wait for next week!





No comments:

Post a Comment