My presents

My presents

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spiritual Reflections: Jesus Calling for Kids

It takes 30 days, according to some, to establish a habit (and I think only about 3-4 days to break it!). But, about 30 days ago, we began a new habit in our house. In order to start the day off right with better attitudes, we began reading the Bible at the breakfast table. A dear friend gave me the book "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. These are fairly short devotionals and I thought it would be a good start. There are about 3-4 verses you look up and then a short devotional written as if Jesus is talking directly to you.


Our daughter is 7 years old and loves to read. She has blossomed into a full-blown reader and will read whatever comes into her hands. I love that she is like me like that already! She wanted to participate in the reading so I would let her read a paragraph or 2. This became rather difficult, however because this book is written for adults and there are some VERY large words! I would have to stop feeding Trenton his yogurt every 5 seconds and help her with a word, then explain to her what it meant.

Imagine my bliss when I found out about THIS:


The same spiritual ideas written with kids in mind. Same author and everything! By this time, I had gotten my early birthday present (my KINDLE FIRE :) and downloaded the kid version to the kindle for a few dollars less than the hard back version.

This book is perfect for the intention that it was written. It turns our minds to the scripture in the morning, then expounds upon it using ideas such as school, homework, friends and texting.

Like I wrote in my last post, there is something to be said for practicing good behavior. I also think there is something to be said for practicing spending time with Jesus and allowing Him to speak to us. In our fast-paced world, it is easy for Jesus still, small, voice to be lost in the hustle and bustle of today. The busier we are, the less we hear his voice, unless we stop and listen!

I am just now beginning to teach my daughter about the spiritual discipline of spending time with Jesus in His Word, allowing Him to speak to us, and then speaking to Him through prayer. It can't be just one-sided! How much can my 3 year old truly be learning about Jesus in our morning 10 minutes or so? One can argue that it surely is not much. Most of the time, I am telling him to get his little butt off of the table and sit like a normal human being, while we are reading our devotions. I'll be honest. He tests my patience. But, when we sit down with our morning cereal and he reminds me that we have not yet prayed......or he runs to get the Bible, I know it is the right thing. When my 18 month old, folds his hands and bows his head (and then stuffs his face full of cheerios), I know it is right.

I have been a parent for 7 and a half years now, and only now have gotten into the routine of REGULARLY opening the Bible with my children. But, it is something that I hope to continue throughout the years. I hope that my kids look back on these years with extreme fondness, as we listen for "Jesus Calling" every morning before the day begins.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 says this:
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.[a] 5Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

May we figure out how to do this in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Babe, you and Greg are doing the right thing, period. Here's a little story (like old people are known for). When I was in the jungles of Thailand during the Viet Naum War.I will never forget how God used the principles my mother taught me during our family devotions that God used to keep me from all the immorality I was faced with as a young man so far from home. Yes, I remembered my mother very distinctly saying "Earl,when you're tempted to do something wrong, just remember to ask yourself, what would Jesus do?" And guess where I learned that? Yep, during our family devotions! Keep it up. I'm proud of you and so is Mom. Dad

    ReplyDelete