My presents

My presents

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Stubborn Strength

I learned an important thing this morning....something that I already knew, but it was reaffirmed this morning. My daughter's personality is JUST. LIKE. MINE.

Let me take you back to our end-of-the-year sixth grade picnic. All of the kids in my class had ordered "class of '91" T-shirts. Personally, I thought they were ugly. Plus, I did not have a great year as I was in and out of the hospital. I did not particularly want to pay $5 for a shirt I would never wear again, so I decided not to get one. Apparently, none of the teachers could understand why I was not getting a shirt. Though it was not a requirement, they did not want anyone left out. Well, I did not care if I was left out or not......I did not want one. There was me and 1 other person in my grade who felt this way. I even got SENT TO THE PRINCPAL'S OFFICE for not getting one! The principal made the other girl cry so she gave in. Well, that made my resolve even STRONGER. I would not buy that shirt if they MADE me! I began to get mad! There was no stinkin' way I would buy that dumb shirt now, no matter what! I had people offering to buy me one, but money wasn't the issue. The issue was, I didn't want it, so I wasn't going to get it and conform to everyone else!

My parents always told me I was stubborn.....hence the reason I never gave in to peer pressure either!

Early on, we knew Ellie was a very strong-willed child. She began routinely throwing temper tantrums at the age of 8 months!!!!! From the age of 3-5 she threw multiple tantrums every day. I had battles like you would not believe over control.....she wanted to pick her own clothes, make her own food, make all the decisions. Yet, I was trying to be the mom and exert control over her behavior! I was trying to teach this little stubborn rock OBEDIENCE. Haha. Many days/nights I would be in tears over this hard-to-manage child. Her tantrums got so violent she could not control herself and I was not strong enough to control her! We tried everything.....everything.


I began to pray a very specific prayer over this girl.....that as she grew this stubbornness would be a asset to her. That she would be a leader and someone who would not bend to peer pressure.

Today, I saw an answer to that prayer, in a very funny way.

She is attending VBS at our church this week.....and they are selling T-shirts. Quite frankly, the shirts are VERY ugly and Ellie knows it. She decided she did not want one. Today, Ellie was one of the ONLY children there without a shirt. "Ellie, don't you want a shirt like everyone else?" "No, mom. I already told you that!" There is not one inkling of caring in this 7 year old brain that she is the only one without an ugly yellow shirt! Some teachers did not even understand it.


But, I understood and I support her little decision. It's not a rule she is breaking, she is just choosing not to conform, so why should that matter to me? I had to stifle the chuckle remembering 11 year old me refusing a shirt for the same reason. I truly pray that as she grows she will continue with her resolve to be OK with being different. That is strength of character if it is channeled in the right way....and God can do that!

1 comment: