My presents

My presents

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Best Meatballs EVER!



Who doesn't love spaghetti and meatballs???? I was making mine the other night for the family when I decided to blog about it. It is so easy....and so much better for you than regular spaghetti and meatballs so I wanted to share! I am always looking for ways to make food healthier for myself and for my family!

Here's how I am cooking most days!



For these wonderful meatballs you will need:

1 lb. light ground meat (I prefer ground turkey or chicken......but all are not created equal! Some ground turkey is just as fat-filled as ground beef! Try to find the leanest cuts possible. Jennie-O does really well! This recipe could also be made with beef, but we do not eat much red meat in our home)
1 egg
handful of breadcrumbs (remember THIS post on making your own?)
handful of store-bought stuffing
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder
crushed red peppers (secret ingredient...not too much, just enough to give them a little bit of a kick. Yum!)
oregano
basil
parsley
olive oil

1. Mix all ingredients together.....I just eyeball it for all the ingredients. A small palm-ful is usually good for the spices (just not salt and pepper....a few pinches!)- Tip- take off your wedding rings ;)


2. Using a spoon or a cookie spoon, put in a grill pan with about 2 tsp. hot olive oil until browned (about 6-7 minutes). Now, let me just say, the healthier option is to bake them in an oven until done, but I had to get dinner on the table quickly, so opted for this way.


3. When browned and cooked all the way through, remove from pan and place them on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.



For the spaghetti we use whole wheat pasta, and add about 1/2 c. veggies to your sauce. We used cauliflower, which works perfectly and is totally disguised. Another great option is carrots, which also is totally disguised in flavor.

Quick, easy, delicious. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this meal sounds absolutely delicious!!!! The meatballs sound yummy. We use whole wheat pasta, but I never though of disguising veggies in the sauce. Great idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok weird. VERY weird. I thought I made this up. you use evry ingredient that I do! strange :) MY secret ingredient....that adds just a tad more fat bu a LOT more flavor is cheese. Rachel Ray puts shredded cheeddar in the mix. The cheese like sears to the pan and makes them crusty and WONDERFUL. about 1/2 cup to the mix

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you could use fat-free cheese. Would it melt the same way?

    ReplyDelete